Date(s) - 19/10/2019
10:00 am - 12:30 pm
1 Daleham Gardens, London NW3 5BY
We often think of ethics in terms of things we should not do rather than as an integral part of being an analyst or therapist and where holding an ethical attitude is as much about what we choose to say or do as what we don’t. The need for ethical thinking does not only refer to what we do in the consulting room but extends outside to other aspects of our work and to our relationships with colleagues. Ethical problems are often complex and unclear; we can find ourselves between a rock and a hard place.
In this talk and also in thinking together I would like us to work through several hypothetical situations where the need for ethical thinking could be an important part of what we decide to do. Is mediation always a better solution than making a formal ethical complaint? What is the difference between a grievance and a breach of an ethical code? These are basic issues that can lead us into many more complex decisions when considering ethical action or inaction.
Penny Pickles is a training analyst at the SAP. She is currently Chair of the IAAP ethics committee having been the Chair of the SAP ethics committee and a member of the BPC ethics committee. She is a past Chair of the SAP and was the co-ordinator and a supervisor on the IAAP training programme in Moscow for seven years.
Chair: Lucinda HawkinsIf you don't have a Paypal account, log in as a guest and pay by credit or debit card
Other events that might interest you
- The Red Book: Jung’s Initiatory Journey toward his Signature Concept of Individuation - 31/10/2020 - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 13/11/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 13/11/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Daphne du Maurier story: The Birds - 22/11/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 11/12/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 11/12/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Seminar Series: Self and Individuation - 19/01/2021 - 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
- SAP Annual Lecture - 20/03/2021 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm