Date(s) - 18/05/2019
10:00 am - 12:30 pm
Cambridge - Friends Meeting House
The Structure and Function of Part Objects
A distinctive feature of Kleinian approaches in psychoanalysis is their interest, which developed from Melanie Klein’s work with children, in primitive states of mind. These frequently involve part object relating, in which a person relates, not to whole people, but to parts of the self and of others. I will talk about the structure and function of part object relating. Babies begin life relating to parts of their mother or caretaker – a face, breast, arm, etc – rather than to a whole person. These physical parts are rapidly invested with psychological significance. Gradually a baby’s awareness widens – a development which leads over the first six months or so to an integration of the part objects towards making a whole self, relating to whole objects. But this earliest mode of relating remains available to be used when it is needed. How and when this happens, including in clinical work, is the subject of this paper.
Richard Rusbridger is a training analyst and a child analyst with the British Psychoanalytical Society in private practice in London. He was a social worker in psychiatry and trained as a child psychotherapist at the Tavistock Clinic before training at the Institute of Psychoanalysis. He is an Honorary Reader at University College London, and Hon Sec of the Melanie Klein Trust. He has written papers on psychoanalytic theory and on psychoanalysis and music, and has edited the collected papers of Edna O’Shaughnessy and (with Priscilla Roth) Elizabeth Spillius.
Chair: Hilary Pounsett
This is a 2-hour CPD credit event.
Bookings are closed for this event.
Other events that might interest you
- Using Our Ethical Thinking - 19/10/2019 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Kill Bill - 26/10/2019 - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Displacement - Contemporary Traumatic Experience - 09/11/2019 - 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
- Satanic Error - 30/11/2019 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Jung’s Liber Novus: A Book for the Reader who is to Come? - 30/11/2019 - 10:30 am - 1:00 pm
- Synchronicity and analytic attitude - 25/01/2020 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- The Scapegoat - 02/02/2020 - 10:00 am - 1:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 07/02/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 07/02/2020 - 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Ethnicity and Racism in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy - 29/02/2020 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Hate and Adolescence - 29/02/2020 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 27/03/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 27/03/2020 - 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- SAP Annual Lecture - 28/03/2020 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 24/04/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 24/04/2020 - 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 15/05/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 15/05/2020 - 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Jung’s Red Book: where did it come from, and why does it matter? - 16/05/2020 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Noah’s Ark: - 30/05/2020 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm