Date(s) - 27/06/2020
10:00 am - 12:30 pm
“Starving the Black Material in My Stomach”
On the Use of Dreams in the Healing Process of Eating Disorders
The sufferers of Eating Disorders are caught in a concrete, mechanical and sterile world in which their self-esteem and worth become solely dependent on their body shape and weight. On the surface life is reduced to soulless repetitive rituals, calorie counting and compulsive weighing, yet, being attuned to the patients’ dreams in the process of psychotherapy might create the gateway to the vital psychic life that exists underneath the surface of the symptoms, allowing access to a dialogue with their deep relational wounds and traumas. I will try to demonstrate how the Jungian approach which believes in the compensatory function of the unconscious can be especially useful in these complex, life threatening disorders.
Yoram Inspector is a consultant psychiatrist and a Jungian analyst. He is a member of the Society of Analytical Psychology and The New Israeli Jungian Association. He has 25 years’ experience in treating Eating Disorders in various clinical settings. For the last 8 years he has been working full time in the NHS at the Psychological Medicine Unit of St Mark’s Hospital which provides psychotherapy for patients who suffer from various gastrointestinal diseases and disorders.
[The illustration is about the transformation of the Negredo, the “Black Material”, in alchemy into the white “Albedo” and then to the “Red” Robedo which symbolises the vitality of life. Yoram will present among other dreams also a series of dreams of an eating disorders patient in which this process happened.]
Chair: Hilary Pounsett
This is a 2 hours CPD event via Zoom
This event is fully booked.
Other events that might interest you
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 09/10/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 09/10/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- The Red Book: Jung’s Initiatory Journey toward his Signature Concept of Individuation - 31/10/2020 - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 13/11/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 13/11/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Daphne du Maurier story: The Birds - 22/11/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 11/12/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 11/12/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm