Date(s) - 29/09/2018
10:00 am - 12:30 pm
Refugee Children: Framing the Situation
Joe Jakes in conversation with Alessandra Cavalli
Banner created by the young people attending the Children’s Section Social Evening and Refugee Youth
[Courtesy of the Refugee Council]
In 2015 55 million people were forcibly displaced worldwide.
Joe Jakes will highlight the types of struggles of unaccompanied minors/separated children seeking asylum and the emotional and psychological issues they go through from—their home countries—transit and the delivery of services and integration when they reach the UK, having left behind their homes and loved ones. He will talk about the Council’s policy and responsibilities and tell us stories central to our times.
In the conversation with Alessandra and the public we hope to touch upon the conscious and unconscious aspects of the trauma the children have experienced, noting their concerns and their capacity to engage with the psychological change of living in a different environment and culture.
Joe Jakes is the Youth Project co-ordinator at the Refugee Council Children’s Section and is responsible for youth activities, including educational classes and social activities.
Alessandra Cavalli, PhD, a child and adult analyst, is a training and supervising analyst at the Society of Analytical Psychology. She is co-editor with L. Hawkins and M. Stevns of the book Transformation, published by Karnac Books in 2013.
This is a CPD event
Other events that might interest you
- Refugee Children: Framing the Situation - 29/09/2018 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Safeguarding: How It Affects Professional Practice - 06/10/2018 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Language and loss of identity - 20/10/2018 - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Salman Rushdie’s Midnight’s Children - 22/10/2018 - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Salman Rushdie’s Midnight’s Children - 29/10/2018 - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Salman Rushdie’s Midnight’s Children - 12/11/2018 - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Paranoia in Society and History - 16/11/2018 - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Salman Rushdie’s Midnight’s Children - 19/11/2018 - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Salman Rushdie’s Midnight’s Children - 26/11/2018 - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Exploring Transitional Objects ‘Live’ in Analysis: Teddy Bears are ‘not the only fruit’ - 01/12/2018 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Daphne du Maurier story: REBECCA - 02/12/2018 - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Salman Rushdie’s Midnight’s Children - 03/12/2018 - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Abandonment and Separation - 26/01/2019 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Ethnicity and Racism in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy - 02/02/2019 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- “Starving the Black Material in My Stomach” - 16/02/2019 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- SAP Annual Lecture - 30/03/2019 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm