Date(s) - 26/10/2019
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
1 Daleham Gardens, London NW3 5BY
This is the second film in the CAP/SAP film series on Powerful Women.
A discussion, led by Ruth Williams, will follow the screening.
The lead character (Uma Thurman), called ‘The Bride,’ was a member of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, led by her lover ‘Bill.’ Upon realizing she was pregnant with Bill’s child, ‘The Bride’ decided to escape her life as a killer. She fled to Texas, met a young man, who, on the day of their wedding rehearsal was gunned down by an angry and jealous Bill and his deadly squad. Four years later, ‘The Bride’ wakes from a coma, and discovers her baby is gone. She, then, decides to seek revenge upon the people who destroyed her life and killed her baby. The saga of Kill Bill Volume I begins.
This is Quentin Tarantino’s fourth film in which Uma Thurman stars and redefines what it means to be a woman. Tarantino and Thurman conceived of The Bride together while shooting Pulp Fiction, so there was only ever one actress to play the role. Tarantino told the BBC, “Yes, this is my samurai movie; yes, this is my badass chick movie”.
Please do not be put off by the idea of violence! Tarantino is a most witty and intelligent filmmaker.
[Of interest: In 1967, Thurman (Uma’s dad) returned to the United States and renounced his monk status (which required celibacy) to marry his second wife, German-Swedish model and psychotherapist Nena von Schlebrügge, who was divorced from Timothy Leary.” See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nena_von_Schlebr%C3%BCgge]
Ruth Williams is a Professional Member and Supervising Analyst (with AJA) in private practice. She is the author of Jung: The Basics (Routledge 2019). See www.RuthWilliams.org.uk.
This is a CPD event
Bookings are closed for this event.
Other events that might interest you
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 09/10/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 09/10/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- The Red Book: Jung’s Initiatory Journey toward his Signature Concept of Individuation - 31/10/2020 - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 13/11/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 13/11/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Daphne du Maurier story: The Birds - 20/11/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 11/12/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 11/12/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm