Date(s) - 20/10/2018
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Dread of namelessness:
Language and loss of identity
Ron Britton and Susan Mizen
Following the publication of his recent book, Between Mind and Brain: Models of the Mind and Models in the Mind, Ron Britton and Susan Mizen have been discussing the neurobiological structures thought to underpin language, the relational context within which the symbolic use of language emerges and collapses in those with narcissistic difficulties. In this workshop we will be presenting our thinking at the interface of analytic and neuroscientific disciplines illustrated with clinical examples from work in the NHS with people with severe narcissistic difficulties. We would like to use this as an opportunity to discuss the clinical implications of our thinking.
Ronald Britton is a Fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists and Distinguished Fellow of the British Psychoanalytical Society; he was given the International Psychoanalytical Association Award for Outstanding Scientific Contributions in July 2013 and the Sigourney Award for Distinguished Contributions to Psychoanalysis in December 2013. His books include The Oedipus Complex Today; Belief and Imagination; Sex, Death and the Superego and Between Mind and Brain. Though predominantly clinical his writings also include references to his personal interests in literature, philosophy and theology.
Susan Mizen is a Consultant Medical Psychotherapist and an SAP Jungian Analyst. She trained at the Cassel Hospital in West London before becoming a Consultant at Charing Cross Hospital, Fulham. She wrote the business case for and currently leads the Devon Partnership Trust Specialist Personality Disorder Service. She is developing a neuroscientific psychotherapeutic Relational Affective Model for teams working with people with severe and complex Personality Disorder. She is interested in the interface between neuroscience and psychoanalysis and is undertaking a PhD in Neuroscience. She is Chair of the Medical Psychotherapy Faculty at the RCPsych and Chair of the Talking Therapies Task Force.
Chair: Martin Schmidt
This event is fully booked.
Other events that might interest you
- Clinical Workshop on the Beginning of Analysis and Psychotherapy - 03/10/2020 - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 09/10/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 09/10/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Seminar series: Working with early relational trauma - 24/10/2020 - 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
- Seminar Series: A Jungian Approach to Working Online - 31/10/2020 - 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 13/11/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 13/11/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Seminar Series: A Jungian Approach to Working Online - 21/11/2020 - 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
- Seminar series: Working with early relational trauma - 21/11/2020 - 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 11/12/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 11/12/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm