Date(s) - 02/12/2018
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Hampstead Everyman Cinema
Screening of the 1940 adaptation of the Daphne du Maurier story:
This event celebrates the 80th anniversary of the publication of Daphne du Maurier’s psychological novel Rebecca. It was Alfred Hitchcock’s first American film, made for David O Selznick and released in 1940. It received 11 Oscar nominations and won Best Picture.
Du Maurier describes Rebecca as a “study in jealousy and obsession”, As Brett Kahr, author of Sex and the Psyche, notes, Rebecca “taps into something extraordinarily archaic within our minds. Unconsciously each of us can identify with the character of the second Mrs de Winter. Each of us knows that there was somebody who preceded us, who was loved first and more. It could be an older sibling but more likely it was the parent of the opposite sex” (The Independent, 28 May 2006).
Feminist writers view the story as highlighting the fear of powerful women, especially of women who assert their sexual freedom and defy the patriarchal order. Rebecca is also a film about abusive relationships, and the treatment of women that feels contemporaneous with the concerns of the # MeToo movement.
These aspects and more will be discussed in a panel following the film with Dr. Coline Covington (Jungian Analyst), Rupert Tower (Jungian Analyst and Grandson of the late Daphne du Maurier) and Christopher Perry (Chair/Jungian Analyst).
Tea, coffee and pastries will be provided
This event is fully booked.
Other events that might interest you
- The Red Book: Jung’s Initiatory Journey toward his Signature Concept of Individuation - 31/10/2020 - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 13/11/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 13/11/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Daphne du Maurier story: The Birds - 22/11/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 11/12/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 11/12/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Seminar Series: Self and Individuation - 19/01/2021 - 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
- Seminar Series: Self and Individuation - 16/02/2021 - 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
- SAP Annual Lecture - 20/03/2021 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm