Date(s) - 28/01/2016
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
The Clinical Challenges Of Working With Primitive States Of Mind
A new paradigm has been emerging over the last 25 years that allows us to more successfully understand, address and work with early relational trauma and borderline states of mind. In this talk/workshop I will concentrate on the pressures on the analyst that can lead to impasse and breakdown of the analysis. I will explore how the paradigm of early relational trauma and the reconstruction and co-construction of early traumatic experience, held in implicit memory, can shed vital light on the most difficult of clinical situations so that they can be negotiated safely, effectively and compassionately.
I will explore what may be required of the analyst as part of the process of analysis, calling on the whole person of the analyst, as Jung suggested. I will conclude that an analytic attitude that recognises trauma as central. Participants are invited to explore and share their own clinical experiences in the second half of the programme.
Marcus West is a Training Analyst of the Society of Analytical Psychology. He has taught widely in this country and abroad and was joint winner of the Michael Fordham Prize in 2004. He is on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Analytical Psychology and is currently Chair of Psychotherapy Sussex. He is the author of a number of papers, and three books, Feeling, Being and the Sense of Self, Understanding Dreams in Clinical Practice, and Into the Darkest Places – Early Relational Trauma and Borderline States of Mind. He works in private practice in Sussex.
With many thanks to Joshua Tutt for the illustrations
Bookings are closed for this event.
Other events that might interest you
- Clinical Workshop on the Beginning of Analysis and Psychotherapy - 03/10/2020 - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 09/10/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 09/10/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Seminar series: Working with early relational trauma - 24/10/2020 - 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
- Seminar Series: A Jungian Approach to Working Online - 31/10/2020 - 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 13/11/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 13/11/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Seminar Series: A Jungian Approach to Working Online - 21/11/2020 - 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
- Seminar series: Working with early relational trauma - 21/11/2020 - 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 11/12/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 11/12/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm