Date(s) - 17/05/2019
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Anna Freud’s Legacy
Courtesy Freud Museum London
Anna Freud’s ventures into early childhood care and research began in 1937 at the Jackson Nursery. Working there with toddlers living below the poverty line, Anna Freud and her team acquired a rich array of insights, some unexpected, which they continued to research and refine in the Hampstead War Nurseries. These nurseries were created for London’s displaced children during World War II. This presentation which contains numerous archive photographs and documents will highlight the relevance of Anna Freud’s pioneering work to childcare, therapy and education today. A short film follows the talk.
Inge-Martine Pretorius, PhD, DPsych, Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist, is the Clinical Lead of the Parent-Toddler Service at the Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families (AFC) in London where she runs a therapeutic parent-toddler group. She is a Clinical Tutor for Psychoanalytic Developmental Psychology at University College London and the AFC and curator of the AFC archives. She also works in the NHS, running a Child Psychotherapy Service in a Children’s Centre in London. She has published in the field of molecular genetics and psychoanalysis and is co-editor with M. Zaphiriou Woods of Parents and Toddlers in Groups: A Psychoanalytic Developmental Approach (Routledge, 2011). Together with Norka Malberg, she published Anna Freud’s Legacy: The Revised Provisional Diagnostic Profile (2016): Historical Backdrop and Contemporary Integration in the Journal of Infant, Child, and Adolescent Psychotherapy (16:2, 127-186).
Jan Wiener is Director of Training at the SAP. She was Vice President of the International Association for Analytical Psychology from 2010 to 2013 with special responsibility for projects to develop analytical psychology in countries where all psychological treatments were banned during communist times. Jan’s aunt worked for more than 50 years at what was then the Hampstead Child Therapy Course and Clinic, where she was its Director for a period of time.
Chair: Jan Wiener
Other events that might interest you
- SAP Annual Lecture - 30/03/2019 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Anna Freud's Legacy - 17/05/2019 - 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- The Structure and Function of Part Objects - 18/05/2019 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- From Somatic to Psychosomatic - 17/06/2019 - 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- From Somatic to Psychosomatic - 24/06/2019 - 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Film in Mind - 29/06/2019 - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- From Somatic to Psychosomatic - 01/07/2019 - 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- From Somatic to Psychosomatic - 08/07/2019 - 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
- Joe Cambray - 06/09/2019 - 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
- Ethnicity and Racism in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy - 29/02/2020 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- “Starving the Black Material in My Stomach” - 27/06/2020 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm