Date(s) - 26/01/2019
10:00 am - 12:30 pm
Identity: On how to become ‘me’
Jung’s idea of individuation
Alessandra will describe how in her work with children, unprocessed weaning and the absence of a good experience of separation can lead the child to identify with aspects of the lost caregiver as a defence against pain. She will discuss how this state of affairs becomes a hindrance to individuation and highlight what is the meaning of identification as a defence, clarifying the link between mourning and individuation. Descriptions of work with a three-year-old boy illustrate how the sudden loss of his mother’s breasts had made weaning intolerable to him. In the discussion of the case material the use of identification as a defence will be highlighted, and a differentiation will be made between abandonment and separation.
Alessandra Cavalli, PhD, child and adult analyst in private practice, is a training and supervising analyst at the Society of Analytical Psychology. She also supervises therapeutic work with children in care in Juconi, Mexico. In 2013 she initiated a training course in child psychotherapy in Moscow with a group of Jungian and non-Jungian child psychotherapists from London. She has published extensively in the Journal of Analytical Psychology, and is co-editor with Lucinda Hawkins and Martha Stevns of the book Transformation, published by Karnac Books in 2013.
This event is now sold out. Please email email@example.com to be put on a waitlist.
Bookings are closed for this event.
Other events that might interest you
- The Return of the Oppressed - 28/09/2019 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Understanding OCD - 11/10/2019 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- Interpreting Transference and Countertransference - 11/10/2019 - 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Using Our Ethical Thinking - 19/10/2019 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Kill Bill - 26/10/2019 - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Understanding OCD - 08/11/2019 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- Interpreting Transference and Countertransference - 08/11/2019 - 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Displacement - Contemporary Traumatic Experience - 09/11/2019 - 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
- Satanic Error - 30/11/2019 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Jung’s Liber Novus: A Book for the Reader who is to Come? - 30/11/2019 - 10:30 am - 1:00 pm
- Understanding OCD - 06/12/2019 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- Interpreting Transference and Countertransference - 06/12/2019 - 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Synchronicity and analytic attitude - 25/01/2020 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- The Scapegoat - 02/02/2020 - 10:00 am - 1:30 pm
- Understanding OCD - 07/02/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- Interpreting Transference and Countertransference - 07/02/2020 - 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Understanding OCD - 28/02/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- Interpreting Transference and Countertransference - 28/02/2020 - 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
- Ethnicity and Racism in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy - 29/02/2020 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Hate and Adolescence - 29/02/2020 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm