Date(s) - 02/03/2019
10:00 am - 12:30 pm
Another Chance to hear
Identity: On how to become ‘me’
Jung’s idea of individuation
Alessandra will describe how in her work with children, unprocessed weaning and the absence of a good experience of separation can lead the child to identify with aspects of the lost caregiver as a defence against pain. She will discuss how this state of affairs becomes a hindrance to individuation and highlight what is the meaning of identification as a defence, clarifying the link between mourning and individuation. Descriptions of work with a three-year-old boy illustrate how the sudden loss of his mother’s breasts had made weaning intolerable to him. In the discussion of the case material the use of identification as a defence will be highlighted, and a differentiation will be made between abandonment and separation.
Alessandra Cavalli, PhD, child and adult analyst in private practice, is a training and supervising analyst at the Society of Analytical Psychology. She also supervises therapeutic work with children in care in Juconi, Mexico. In 2013 she initiated a training course in child psychotherapy in Moscow with a group of Jungian and non-Jungian child psychotherapists from London. She has published extensively in the Journal of Analytical Psychology, and is co-editor with Lucinda Hawkins and Martha Stevns of the book Transformation, published by Karnac Books in 2013.
Chair: Hessel Willemsen
This event is fully booked.
Other events that might interest you
- “Starving the Black Material in My Stomach” - 27/06/2020 - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 09/10/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 09/10/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 13/11/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 13/11/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- OBSESSIONS, ANXIETIES AND PHOBIAS - 11/12/2020 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- SOMATIC COUNTERTRANSFERENCE AND THE UNTHINKABLE: - 11/12/2020 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm